STEVEN BAHR, B.S.
Research Scientist. Steve provides statistical support for a variety of projects and works as a technical reviewer to ensure that reports and publications are accurate and adhere to the National Center for Education Statistics Statistical Standards. Prior to joining Activate, Steve was a research associate with the American Institutes for Research (AIR) and spent five years in the Office of Admissions at the University of Iowa. Steve earned a B.S. in statistics from the University of Iowa and has extensive experience in reviewing federal publications and working with large and complex nationally-representative datasets.
Research Scientist, Activate Research, Inc.
Jan 2014 – Present
Support projects with the U.S. Department of Education
- Contribute to development of Statistics in Briefs/Data Points
- Advise on NCES Fast Response Survey System (FRSS) and Postsecondary Education Quick Information System (PEQIS) publications
- Reviews NCES State Education Reforms (SER) tables
- Perform quality review and 508 compliance on various projects
- Handle inquiries from members of the media, professors, researchers, and the general public
- Familiar with NCES surveys including data, publications, and tools
Research Associate, American Institutes for Research
May 2012 – Dec 2013
Supported the Data Development Program at NCES
- Provided statistical support for Issue Briefs/Statistics in Briefs
- Aided in supervising and planning for NCES FRSS and PEQIS publications
- Reviewed NCES SER tables
- Responded to inquiries from members of the media, professors, researchers, and the general public
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Authored, co-authored, edited briefs and other publications
- Responded to data requests from government officials, public users, and institutions directed to NCES
Research Assistant, American Institutes for Research
May 2010 – Apr 2012
Examined reports and corresponding statistical documentation for compliance with NCES Statistical Standards
- Wrote reviews based on technical issues found within documents and reports
- Knowledgeable about NCES Statistical Standards
Clerk, University of Iowa Office of Admissions
Iowa City, IA
Aug 2004 – Dec 2009
Sent information to prospective students
- Managed student staff
- Catalogued inventory of 150 items
University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
Bahr, S., Sparks, D. (2016). Changes in America’s Public School Facilities: From School Year 1998-99 to School Year 2012-13. (NCES 2016-074). U.S. Department of Education. Washington, DC: National Center for Education Statistics.
Sparks, D., Zhang, J., & Bahr, S. (2015). Public Elementary and Secondary School Arts Education Instructors. (NCES 2015-085). U.S. Department of Education. Washington, DC: National Center for Education Statistics.